They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the perfect haircut can truly make anyone feel fabulous! At Fluff, Denver’s luxury Cut, Color, and Extensions Salon, we know that the secret to looking and feeling your best is finding a haircut that complements your unique face shape. In this fun and light-hearted guide, we’ll help you identify your face shape and find the perfect haircut to accentuate your features. So, let’s take a dive into the wonderful world of face shapes and haircuts! While us hairstylists might learn this in beauty school, it’s often overlooked, as you may have noticed at your last bad haircut (not at Fluff of course!).
Step 1: Identify Your Face Shape
Before we can embark on our haircut journey, it’s essential to determine your face shape. To do this, grab a flexible measuring tape, a mirror, and follow these simple steps:
- Measure your forehead: Measure the width of your forehead at its widest point (usually halfway between your eyebrows and hairline).
- Measure your cheekbones: Measure the distance across your face from the outer corner of one eye to the outer corner of the other eye.
- Measure your jawline: Measure from the tip of your chin to the point where your jawline begins to angle upwards, then multiply by two.
- Measure your face length: Measure from the center of your hairline to the tip of your chin.
Now that you have your measurements, compare them to the descriptions below to determine your face shape:
- Oval: Face length is greater than the width of the cheekbones, forehead is wider than the jawline, and the angle of the jaw is rounded.
- Round: Cheekbones and face length have a similar measurement, with a smaller forehead and jawline, and the angle of the jaw is soft.
- Square: All measurements are fairly similar, and the angle of the jaw is sharp.
- Heart: Forehead measures greater than the jawline and cheekbones, chin is pointed, and the face shape resembles an inverted triangle.
Still unsure? Don’t worry; our expert stylists at Fluff can help you determine your face shape during your consultation. Now, let’s get to the fun part: finding your perfect haircut!
Step 2: Choose the Perfect Haircut for Your Face Shape
Armed with the knowledge of your face shape, it’s time to explore the best haircut options to enhance your features and make you look stunning:
Oval Face Shape
Congratulations, oval-faced friends! You’ve hit the haircut jackpot, as most hairstyles will flatter your face shape. However, there are a few standout styles that’ll accentuate your features even more:
- Long layers: Add dimension and movement to your hair without overwhelming your face.
- Shoulder-length bobs: These chic and versatile cuts frame your face beautifully and draw attention to your cheekbones.
- Textured lobs: A slightly longer bob with texture adds interest and highlights your jawline.
Pro tip: Avoid heavy bangs, as they may make your face appear shorter.
Round Face Shape
For our round-faced beauties, the goal is to elongate your face and create the illusion of angles. Here are some fabulous haircuts to try:
- Long layers with side-swept bangs: This style adds length to your face and softens the roundness.
- Asymmetrical bobs: This edgy cut adds angles to your face, giving it a more defined appearance.
- Long, straight styles: Sleek, straight hair can create the illusion of a longer face.
Pro tip: Avoid short, curly styles or chin-length bobs, as they can emphasize the roundness of your face.
Square Face Shape
For those with a square face shape, the goal is to soften the strong jawline and create a more balanced appearance. Check out these winning haircuts:
- Long, wavy layers: Soft waves add movement and help to soften angular features.
- Side-parted styles: A deep side part adds asymmetry, creating a more dynamic look.
- Curly or wavy bobs: These styles add volume around the face, making your jawline appear more delicate.
Pro tip: Avoid blunt bangs or one-length cuts, as they can make your face appear boxier.
Heart Face Shape
For heart-shaped faces, the aim is to balance the wider forehead with the narrower chin. Here are some gorgeous haircuts that’ll do just that:
- Long, side-swept bangs: These bangs draw attention to your eyes and cheekbones, while balancing the width of your forehead.
- Lobs with face-framing layers: This cut adds fullness around your jawline, creating a more balanced appearance.
- Long, wavy styles: Soft waves add volume and width around the lower part of your face.
Pro tip: Avoid short, heavy bangs, as they can make your forehead appear even wider.
Step 3: Visit Fluff, Denver’s Luxury Cut, Color, and Extensions Salon
Now that you’ve got a better idea of the perfect haircut for your face shape, it’s time to visit Fluff, Denver’s luxury Cut, Color, and Extensions Salon. Our expert stylists will help you refine your chosen style and create a stunning look that enhances your features and leaves you feeling fabulous. Let’s discuss your face shape at your consultation and create a game plan for a cute look that’s flattering on you! If you’re not picky and you’re trying to stay on a budget, give our ‘new talent’ a try… While they might be just out of beauty school, this is how they learn and most of the time you should be happy with the results!
© 2023 Fluff Inc. All rights reserved. Extensions Studio by Fluff – Your Denver Salon destination for healthy beautiful cuts, color and hair extensions.